Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Sandman's Helm (Pt.10)

Great success!

After a bit of prying, I took off the mother mold, and pulled the glove mold up and over the sculpt, which held up reasonably well and almost completely intact. I thought I was going to decimate it!

Look at that beauty, and not only that, when its inside out, it kinda looks like a Creature from the Black Lagoon mask, double-bonus! Look at me, so delighted to be a creature.


Next up, a double first time attempt for me, and that's 'slush casting' with a urethane plastic. This basically involves a two part liquid formula that hardens to a plastic consistency, you pour it into the mold, roll it around so that it covers every surface, and in about 10 minutes it sets to hard plastic. Amazing stuff!

I used Smooth-On's Smooth Cast 320, which comes out handily off-white.

But, before you think its all Daisy's and Snowflakes, I failed pretty hard. Once again, I didn't quite understand how the material worked, and in my excitement, I used too much, poured a big wad of it in there and started rolling it about like the dickens.

How the resin works is interesting. The larger the mass in a specific area, the faster the catalysing reaction will occur, so if you happen to have a big splodge or puddle of it anywhere, you can bet that's gonna kick faster than the thin coating everywhere else.

Well, that's what happened to me, I got the interior surface covered up to a point, and then as it was puddling in the bottom, it just immediately went solid. That stuff kicks fast! I was surprised and pretty bummed out, but I needed to pull it out anyway, check it out, it might have been a failure, but it gave me a preview of its potential!


I used a lot less resin this time, and did it three times, immediately building up on top of the last layer just as it had set. This resulted in a super hard, perfectly cast mask which I did a little victory dance to!

Here it is, in all its glory!


Here's a comparison shot, you can see how thin the first one was in places, it just started deteriorating as I handled it, the other is just awesome. So awesome, it was awesome before awesome even became a word.


At this point, I would have liked to spend some time with sandpaper knocking out some of the sculpt marks, and buffing some of the larger areas out to a smoother texture, but I didn't have time to spare, so it would have to wait till the next pull after the masquerade.

No comments:

Post a Comment