Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Sandman's Ruby (Dreamstone)


"I walk across the dreaming sands under the pale moon: through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone and times beyond recall."


So I seem to have taken on what appears to be a quite ambitious project, and that is to re-create the visage of Dream of the Endless, otherwise known as Morpheus from Neil Gaiman's graphic novel 'The Sandman'. To ease myself into the project (and prop making in general), I decided to start with one of the three 'lost totems' he goes to find after his capture.

The three items are his helm, a pouch of dream sand, and a ruby (dreamstone) attached to a chain.

As I know a talented leatherworker, I decided to offload that little project to her, and I look forward to how it's going to turn out. I therefore started late in the evening on the ruby, which will definately be easier than the helm. Here's the art I shall be trying to follow:




I started pretty late in the evening, so to begin the prototype, I roughed out the size I wanted on a slice of foam board, then glued three layers together with PVA glue. I marked the final shape I wanted to achieve, and we are off and running!



Throughout this whole blog, comments, tips, praise and criticism (so long as it's constructive!) are always welcome! More soon!

2 comments:

  1. I recommend polishing the eventual facets with lapping compound and a lapping surface (A glass slab) this will enable truly flat surfaces of mirrored perfection. or it could turn out to be a ngihtmare if your casting is off :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'll check it out, challenge accepted (maybe).

      Delete