Monday, May 28, 2012

The Sandman's Helm (Pt.4)

So it's at this point I started learning some valuable lessons about sculpting and the general artistry of making something of any significant scale (especially when it is going to be worn on the head, an area that receives almost all the attention in the first moments of sight).

At this stage I was also trying out different shapes and styles, I know I wanted it to look recognizable, which would mean sticking closer to the comic, but I also wanted to take some artistic license as well.

Here are a couple of experimental pics, and you can also see how deep I can go before hitting the gas mask clips (the balls in the eye of the first one was my friend Soo's (who became Delirium) addition, for a laugh)...


So I had about a month to go, but I had this sneaking sensation (spider sense!?) that messing around with details at this point was not a good idea, so I decided to invest some more time in tutorials and sculpting lessons online, and sure enough I learned that I was going about it the wrong way, concentrating too much on the details before I had even gotten a basic form that I liked.

Taking what I had just learned, I realised that I had a lot of work to do first making sure this will work on a human head, so I needed a mid-line. Looking at the sculpt I had, I noticed I had no idea where the mid line of the head was underneath, but thankfully I did recall that I had put the gas mask on the head cast just like you would on your normal head, so I just needed to find the mid line of the gas mask.

As the mask was molded rubber, it had its own seam-line, so I did a bit of hardcore gouging (nerves and tension were high, but all the videos told me its just clay, you can fix it relatively easily after, and you shouldn't be afraid to cut chunks out and try out new things, so I pressed on) and I eventually got enough mold seam on the front, and the rectangular strap patch at the back, and that gave me enough to contour a line right over the head.



That being done, I used a right-angle steel ruler, and some straight wire to score the whole sculpt up the mid line, and replace the missing clay. Take a look at the difference it makes, especially on the photo of the back, look at the differences exposed on the left and right side.



Looks like there's more work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment